Thursday, October 9, 2014

Thursday Movie Picks #13: Zombie Movies


Thursday Movie Picks


Hello and welcome to Thursday Movie Picks! We're now in the second week of the Halloween Edition. Once again brace yourself for some scary flicks as for 5 Thursdays in the month of October, the themes will all be Halloween related. 

October 2 - Unstable Characters (characters that seemed off...eg. Donnie Darko)
October 9 - Zombie Movies
October 16 - Found Footage Movies
October 23 - Vampire Movies
October 30 - Haunted Buildings

As you can see there are some fun themes in the coming weeks. So if you haven't join us already, now is definitely the time to.

Before we start let's go through some of the simple rules for the newbies; Each week there is a topic for you to create a list of three movies. Your picks can either be favourites/best, worst, hidden gems, or if you're up to it one of each. For more information and future topics please visit the Thursday Movie Picks page here.

---

This week's Thursday Movie Picks is Zombie Movies

---



Ah zombie movies...I'm relatively quite new to them having only begun seeing them in the 2000s with 28 Days Later which have been argued to not technically be a zombie movie since the infected didn't die first before reanimating. Anyhoo...I have like most of the ones I've seen and 28 Days Later is a definite favourite, but it won't be part of my picks this week as I'm going for Hidden Gems.

Zombieland and Shaun of the Dead are the more popular zombie dark comedies so I thought I'd highlight Fido for one of my picks. Fido pretty much begins where Shaun of the Dead ends but set in the 50s. So imagine a world like Pleaseantville where zombies have been domesticated by having them wear collars making them controllable and productive members of society. In this world having a zombie servant becomes a desirable thing because it's all about keeping up with the Joneses right? Until of course...accidents happen.

So we already have a zombie comedy, let's now have a zombie romance, Romeo and Juliet style. Don't worry there's no tragic suicides here because Warm Bodies is light hearted fun comedy/drama/romance set in a zombie apocalypse. Plus R the Romeo in this tale is already dead. Yep he is a zombie. His brain has limited functionality (he can't even remember his name), just enough for him to know he is hungry and needs to eat people. That is until he eats one boy's brains and inherits his memories and the emotions tied to it. R soon find himself falling for Julie, a living girl from the boy's memory, and goes to great lengths to protect her from his fellow zombies. You're probably now thinking how the romance part works out since Julie is human and R is dead...it works out...you'd just have to see it.

After the delays, the reshoots the movie had and how different the story was reportedly to be from the book, I had expected World War Z to be disappointing. So I was quite surprise that it turn out to be an entertaining, heart pumping and action packed zombie flick. I'm not a fan of fast zombies...but it does make this zombie infested world extremely scarry. World War Z follows Gerry, a UN investigator, fly around the world to investigate the disease. So basically through him we see the zombie apocalypse on a global scale, which I don't think any other movie has done before, and certainly effectively gives a certain sense of escalating claustrophobia as we come to see no corner of the earth is untouched by the pandemic. I would also recommend the book. Other than the zombie apocalypse affecting the whole world, the story is vastly different. The major difference probably being that the book is made up of a series of accounts of the war by characters from different parts of the world from various backgrounds told to a UN agent interview style.

---

So that's it...my three picks. What three movies made your list today?


If you are participating be sure to add your blog post to the linky widget below (Enter your Blog Post URL, your Blog Name and your email {which will remain hidden}). Please also visit the other participating blogs, spread the word about this meme, and also link back to my blog on your own Thursday Movie Picks post :)

---

Participating Blogs/Bloggers



6 comments:

  1. The only one of these is World War Z which I had some mixed feelings about. I enjoyed it, but I felt at times it was a little bit too fast and it became hard to follow during the action scenes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel that way too for movies with fast action scenes...sometimes it's hard to catch what's going on. WWZ I saw it on DVD so the pause and rewind button help.

      Delete
  2. I've never seen Fido, I'll have to check that one out. World War Z surprised me too. I haven't read the novel though. I need to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great picks! We share Warm Bodies, that's in my list too. I had completely forgotten about World War Z! It seems I've seen more zombie movies than I actually think :)
    - Allie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Warm Bodies is a fun movie. I guess that's why I've added WWZ as a hidden gem. It's overshadowed by a lot of the other popularly known zombie flicks and I guess a lot of times people expect it to be bad for the reasons I've mentioned but it's a really entertaining movie.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...