Thursday, November 13, 2014

Thursday Movie Picks #18: Movies about Making Movies


Hello and welcome to Thursday Movie Picks! Before we start, for new people who may have just wandered here, the rules of this weekly series is simple: Each week there is a topic for you to create a list of three movies. Your picks can either be favourites/best, worst, hidden gems, or if you're up to it one of each. For more information and future topics please visit the Thursday Movie Picks page here.

---

This week's Thursday Movie Picks is
Movies about Making Movies
 

---



Nope I did not forget about this week's Thursday Movie Picks, just a little late (ok, very late) that's all. This week I don't have the usual favourite picks that I usually do because even though I have seen a bunch of movies fitting this theme I can't say that I have really loved any of them. So my picks are simply the three movies that I liked more than the rest:

Hitchcock (2012)

Psycho is one of my favourite Hitchcock movies so it was fascinating seeing how it got made.

Mary Poppins was one of my favourite movies growing up and I certainly wore out our VHS when I was a kid. So once again seeing the behind the scenes of the making of this loved movie was great, the storyboards, the song writing and etc. But I have to say the parts about Travers childhood was a little dry, even though I know it's there to explain Travers protectiveness over Mary Poppins, I much prefer seeing those scenes of them in the meeting room making decisions about the movie.

Super 8 (2011)
I probably am not the only one who thinks this, but Super 8 feels like it's trying to be a Steven Spielberg (he is one of the producers) movie or even one of those 80's movies with its tale of friendship, adventure and the supernatural. Now I don't mean it in a bad way because to an extent it does achieve that and what I like most about Super 8 is the sense of nostalgia it has. Plus the movie has a bunch of kids trying to make a movie; how cute is that right? Come to think of it, I find there's a lack of movies with themes of friendship and adventure in recent years. The 80's had E.T., The Goonies and Stand By Me and I'm struggling to find good ones from the 90's and 2000's.

---

So that's it...my three picks. What three movies made your list today?

---


If you are participating be sure to add your blog post to the linky widget below (Enter your Blog Post URL, your Blog Name and your email {which will remain hidden}). Please also visit the other participating blogs, spread the word about this meme, and also link back to my blog on your own Thursday Movie Picks post :) 

---  

Participating Blogs/Bloggers

6 comments:

  1. Super 8 is totally trying to be a Spielberg flick. It does it well, though. It's even better than some of Spielberg's own recent movies (War Horse, ugh). Good choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen War Horse yet...looks like a tear jerker

      Delete
  2. I was also going to pick Super 8 for this category, but went with another movie instead. It does feel like it has Spielberg all over it, but I think it's because of the homage to the director.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super 8 does have a great sense of nostalgia about it. I enjoyed it. I never saw the other two you have on this list, but I saw The Girl (The other Hitchcock movie) and I liked that.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...