Thursday, September 3, 2015

Thursday Movie Picks #60: Teachers



Hello there and welcome to Thursday Movie Picks a weekly series where you share three movie picks each Thursday. The rules are simple simple: Each week there is a topic for you to create a list of three movies. Your picks can either be favourites/best, worst, hidden gems, or if you're up to it one of each.For further details visit the series main page here.


---


This week's Thursday Movie Picks is Teachers

---


For some reason, this week's theme seem familiar to me. I think it could be because we've had a couple of school related themes in the past so we could very well see a lot of overlaps in the movies mention this week. Which is why I'm trying to pick the not so popular titles and avoiding those that I've picked before even though I love them...so no Dead Poets Society :(.

Notes on a Scandal (2006)
I don't know about you, but most of the movies I've seen Judi Dench in she is either plays a sweet little old lady or some upper class lady in some period flick. So it was nice to see her in Notes on a Scandal where plays a bitter manipulative teacher blackmailing a fellow teacher played by Cate Blanchett who is having an affair with one of her students. The performances by both actresses in this is soo good.

In the House (2012)
In In the House, a French teacher, Germain becomes engrossed with his student Claude's essay about his relationship with his friend's family. Germain soon starts tutoring Claude to encourage the writing and becomes privy to the friend's family lives through the essays. I like movies that feature unreliable narrators and Claude is clearly a clever boy making the lines of what is real and what is fictionalised to keep Germain hooked blurred.

Monsieur Lazhar (2011)  
At a Montreal grade school, Algerian immigrant, Bachir Lazhar, is quickly hired to fill the vacancy left by a teacher who committed suicide in a classroom. The kids are silently traumatised over the tragedy and Lazhar tries to help them with their grief while also keeping his actual residency status a secret. A good, inspirational type of teacher movie with good performances all around. If one of the girls look familiar, it's because she's the one in The Book Thief.

---

So that's it...my three picks. What three movies made your list today?

---


---


If you are participating be sure to add your blog post to the linky widget below (Enter your Blog Post URL, your Blog Name and your email {which will remain hidden}). Please also visit the other participating blogs, spread the word about this meme, and also link back to my blog on your own Thursday Movie Picks post :)


---


Participating Blogs/Bloggers
 


 

 

15 comments:

  1. Haven't seen any of these, In This House breaks one of my plot rules and sounds very interesting. I agree about the allure of the unreliable narrator, far more intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen your last two picks, but they both sound interesting. Great picks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You got me, here. Haven't seen any of these. Always wanted to see Notes on a Scandal, though. Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I haven't heard of any of these, they sound like great films though :)
    - Allie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Notes on a Scandal is an amazing movie and now I'm completely kicking myself for not using it. Ugh!! lol Great picks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha...yep I myself remember it just before I started typing the post.

      Delete
  6. I've only seen Notes. I didn't care for the movie overall but the performances of the two leading ladies were amazing. The other two sound interesting especially Monsieur Lazhar.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH Notes on a Scandal. LOVE Judi Dench in that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I forgot about Notes on a Scandal and do want to see this film. The other 2 also sound quite good especially the one taking place in Montreal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Monsieur Lazhar is good. I think it was a submission for a foreign language Oscar?

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...