Thursday, May 5, 2016

Thursday Movie Picks #95: Androids/Cyborgs


Hello there and welcome to Thursday Movie Picks a weekly series where you share three movie picks each Thursday. The rules are simple simple: Each week there is a topic for you to create a list of three movies. Your picks can either be favourites/best, worst, hidden gems, or if you're up to it one of each.For further details visit the series main page here.


---

This week's Thursday Movie Picks is Androids/Cyborgs
 ---


I'm picking Androids because there doesn't seem to be a lot of cyborgs on film, at least good films.

Ex Machina (2015)
A programmer is invited by his wealthy employer to his very private and secluded estate to administer a test on his highly intelligent android. Ahh...finally saw this. Very atmospheric and eerie and just all round great.
 
Blade Runner (1982)
A cop is assigned to hunt down a couple of androids that have returned to earth to meet their maker. Not sure which version (Original? Director's Cut?) I saw, but I really enjoyed it and am curious about the other one. And hey only 3 more years till 2019. 

A.I. Artificial Intelligence (2001)
An android boy yearns to be human and loved by his adoptive human mother. So sad.

---

If you are participating be sure to add your blog post to the linky widget below (Enter your Blog Post URL, your Blog Name and your email {which will remain hidden}). Please also visit the other participating blogs, spread the word about this meme, and also link back to my blog on your own Thursday Movie Picks post :)

--- 

Participating Blogs/Bloggers

12 comments:

  1. AI should have been a huge hit but wasn't and it's a great movie that is very sad. Blade Runner is a fantastic film and there is so much to this film especially with the religious themes. Ex Machina is excellent also. I didn't think I would like it as much as I do but it is so well written and acted and just very creepy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blade Runner is fantastic, but I can't say the same about Ex Machina. I didn't like it very much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was very close to picking Blade Runner, great film. I was not a big fan of Ex-Machina. I was so disappointed by the end. AI, was a whole other thing. I thought for years that the terrible ending was a Spielberg invention, but during Uni at the Kubrick festival, it was confirmed by his friend and frequent producer that the ending was intended by Kubrick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AI - I felt sorry for Caleb but I generally like the end. I think it's sort of fitting with how intelligent Ava is.

      Delete
  4. I'm not much of a sci-fi fan so this isn't really one of my preferred genres but there are some decent films like Blade Runner in it. I saw it in the theatre on its initial release but never the director's cut but I liked the version I know. I suspect it will be the title of the week.

    Can't say the same for A.I. which I was okay with until it ended but then didn't and went on for another half hour or so to a treacly finish.

    Haven't gotten to Ex Machina yet but it's in my queue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yeah...I know a lot of people don't like the AI ending. I saw it as a kid, so it worked on me.

      Delete
  5. I love Ex Machina. Excellent film. I also thought A.I. should have been a much bigger hit. It's a wonderful film. I think the ending would've been fine if it didn't seem to already have ended 30 minutes before. I'm not a fan of Blade Runner. Yup, I'm the one. Great picks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AI - is it because it's a Spielberg movie? That it could be another E.T.?

      Delete
  6. I also chose Ex Machina. I haven't seen Blade Runner which is super embarrassing and I hated AI. I wanted to like it so badly and it just annoyed me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ex Machina is quite popular this week, a fine film and a great performance from the leads.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post! I love all these choices, especially A.I. ..that movie killed me.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...