Thursday, December 15, 2016

Thursday Movie Picks #127: Video/Arcade/Board Game Movies



Hello there and welcome to Thursday Movie Picks a weekly series where you share three movie picks each Thursday. The rules are simple simple: Each week there is a topic for you to create a list of three movies. Your picks can either be favourites/best, worst, hidden gems, or if you're up to it one of each.For further details visit the series main page here.


---

This week's Thursday Movie Picks is Video/Arcade/Board Game Movies

---

I generally think movies based on video/arcade/board games are bad, most of the reviews said they were anyway, so I haven't really make any effort to watch any of them. I may have watch both the Silent Hill movies in parts when they aired on TV, but I just wasn't really into them. So my picks today will be three that I'm curious about.

Assassin's Creed (2016)
I mostly want to see this because of the actors, who generally star in good movies or at the very least interesting ones. Reviews are still not out yet so yeah I'm curious. Saw bits of the trailer and it looks kinda cool.

Clue (1985 & ?)
I have not seen the '85 version and now there's a new adaptation in the works. I do like who whodunnits like And Then There Were None and Gosford Park, so I'd like to check out both Clue adaptations.

Ouija (2014) & Ouija: Origin of Evil (2016)
If I'm not mistaken, unlike others, these two are like the official Ouija movies based on the Hasbro board game. The first one had really bad ratings but the second one looks like it's not bad.

---

If you are participating be sure to add your blog post to the linky widget below (Enter your Blog Post URL, your Blog Name and your email {which will remain hidden}). Please also visit the other participating blogs, spread the word about this meme, and also link back to my blog on your own Thursday Movie Picks post :)

--- 

Participating Blogs/Bloggers
 

10 comments:

  1. I like your theme here! I don't think I'll be seeing any of these movies, though Assassin's Creed does sound the most interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Clue and I can't wait to see Assasin's Creed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE Clue, it's one of my picks but haven't seen the others.

    I have to say board game adaptations aren’t my strong suit but my second pick is a film I can’t help but stop and watch whenever I run across it. However my first film’s inclusion should not be construed in any way as a recommendation.

    Battleship (2012)-What lunkhead came up with the script for this exercise in inanity? Obviously written by someone who has never played the board game which is all about strategy and should have led to a film along the lines of “They Were Expendable” or “The Cruel Sea”. What the hell are aliens and extraterrestrial flying objects doing in a movie called Battleship? Really quite stupid.

    Clue (1985)-It’s a dark and stormy night when Mr. Boddy welcomes six guests-Mrs. Peacock (Eileen Brennan), Miss Scarlet (Lesley Ann Warren), Mr. Green (Michael McKean), Professor Plum (Christopher Lloyd), Mrs. White (Madeline Kahn) and Col. Mustard (Martin Mull)-who he has been blackmailing. They’re a colorful lot in more ways than their names and when Mr. Boddy is murdered they set about trying to figure out which one of them did it while the bodies pile up. The best board game adaptation out there, not a high bar admittedly but this is a fun film with Madeline Kahn an absolute scream as Mrs. White.

    Mazes & Monsters (1982)-Five college friends all are devout Mazes & Monster players. To have more freedom in their play they move the board game to a local cavern where one of them, Robbie Wheeling (Tom Hanks), begins to slip away from reality and into the fantasy of the game. This TV event movie was Hanks first lead, based on a Rona Jaffe bestseller which itself was based on actual events.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never heard of Mazes & Monsters, I guess because it's a TV movie. They you usually don't make their way here.

      Delete
  4. I haven't seen Assassin's Creed and not interested in the Ouiji movie. But I love Clue. It is a fun movie and love all the stars in it. When will you have the new list out for 2017?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahahah no way! You picked Clue too! It's great fun, great cast and multiple endings - it's a winner.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've only seen Ouija. I thought it was okay, but dragged badly through the early parts. I guess I'll watch the sequel, at some point. I will see Assassin's Creed, for sure, but I'm not particularly in a hurry. Still need to see Clue. That might go on the short list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here...with Assassins Creed. I still can't find critics reviews as of now.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...