Friday, December 23, 2016

Thursday Movie Picks #128: Parties



Hello there and welcome to Thursday Movie Picks a weekly series where you share three movie picks each Thursday. The rules are simple simple: Each week there is a topic for you to create a list of three movies. Your picks can either be favourites/best, worst, hidden gems, or if you're up to it one of each.For further details visit the series main page here.


---

This week's Thursday Movie Picks is Parties

---


I've posted the 2017 Thursday Movie Picks schedule on Monday. Please have a look if your have not. There are 7 dates open for theme suggestions. If you think there's a theme we have yet to cover, please add a comment on Monday's post to submit your suggestions. Thanks. The complete updated schedule will be posted just before the new year.

Now on to today's pick which is a little late. 

The Great Gatsby (2013)
Jay Gatsby's parties; it's really the only thing people know about him. Since this is a Baz Luhrmann movie, the parties are even more loud, extravagant and glittery.

Marie Antoinette (2006)
Party like it's the 18th century: big wigs, powdered faces, beautiful costumes and cakes...lots of pastel colored cakes. This movie is so, so gorgeous to look at.

Can't Hardly Wait (1998)
It's a last night of high school party movie. I was looking at the photos it had on IMDB and I had forgotten that so many of the 90's teen stars made cameo appearances on this. I

---

If you are participating be sure to add your blog post to the linky widget below (Enter your Blog Post URL, your Blog Name and your email {which will remain hidden}). Please also visit the other participating blogs, spread the word about this meme, and also link back to my blog on your own Thursday Movie Picks post :)

--- 

Participating Blogs/Bloggers
 

10 comments:

  1. Ooh, Can't Hardly Wait, I think I remember that! Omg, such a blast from the past, nice. I like that you went with a period drama as a party recommendation since I did the same, I recommended Pride & Prejudice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Period Dramas do have a lot parties...or dancing or ball as they'd say it :)

      Delete
  2. Good choices. I didn't care much for this version of Gatsby, the '49 movie is much closer to the novel, but for visual opulence it's certainly eye filling something it shares with the Robert Redford 70's picture.

    Again I much preferred the 30's Norma Shearer take on Marie Antoinette but this one has some extraordinary set pieces with great costume design.

    I didn't have high hopes when I sat down to watch Can't Hardly Wait but it turned out to be much better than I expected. It was goofy but it also had recognizable characters.

    When I discovered that I could link my three picks I couldn't resist even though one's party is a bit unconventional. I also threw in something summery because we could use some warmth right now in the frozen North.

    The Wild Party (1975)-On the skids Hollywood silent comic star Jolly Grimm (James Coco) is hoping that an elaborate party he’s throwing with the aid of his mistress (Raquel Welch), capped by the showing of his new film, will reignite his career. The party starts well but quickly spirals out of control ending in tragedy. This was loosely based on the notorious Fatty Arbuckle case. Welch and Coco are both excellent.

    The Wild Party (1956)-The wild party of the title is a kidnapping by a group of losers that becomes the ultimate bad night. “Kicks” Johnson, a hepcat ivory tickler (Nehemiah Persoff) who needs cash cause being broke for a living, “just ain’t cool for a jazzman”, Tom Kupfen, a former pro-football player (Anthony Quinn) reduced to rolling drunks for a few bucks, the trampy Honey (Kathryn Grant) Tom’s last hanger-on from his glory days- in need of cash to pay the rent who says of herself "I have 40,000 miles on me" plus a knife happy, small time con-man, Gage Freeposter (Jay Robinson) on the run from Johnny Law go looking for a score. Freeposter cruises an upscale jazz club “The Fat Man” where the “real cats swing” in search of a mark or two. They find a rich couple (Carol Omart and Arthur Franz) and entice them to an abandoned amusement park where things quickly go wrong. Loaded with 50’s hipster lingo and a primo jazz score.

    The Wild Party (1929)-A group of young women at a girls college are more interested in attending wild parties than studying for their classes. After being kicked out of one such party one of the girls, Stella Ames (Clara Bow), gets into a bad situation in a bar where one of her professors James Gilmore (Fredric March) has to save her. Gossip about the two spreads and Stella has to act fast to save both their reputations. Bow is at her “It Girl” best.

    Summer Throwback Bonus-Beach Party (1963)-It’s the original gathering of Frankie Avalon, Annette Funicello, Deadhead, Eric Von Zipper and the whole beach party gang! This one has a bit more story than usual with anthropology professor Robert Orwell Sutwell (Robert Cummings) and his secretary Marianne (Dorothy Malone) studying the sex habits of teenagers. Not that they’re having any real sex just singing and dancing to Dick Dale and the Del Tones and surfing of course.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally forgot about The Great Gatsby, but it's easily the best pick ever! I haven't seen this version of the movie (only the old one) but I loved the novel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've only seen Can't Hardly Wait out of these. I've meant to see Marie Antoinette though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahaha Can't Hardly Wait too! Such a cliché movie with a who's who of 90s shiz. Love love the Great Gatsby though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've only seen The Great Gatsby. That definitely fits the topic. Great pick.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have only seen The Great Gatsbynwhich was....horrid but quite vivid with the party scenes and the styling

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm...I don't know if I like this version either but I wasn't into the Redford one as well.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...