Friday, March 10, 2017

Thursday Movie Picks #139: Remakes/Sequels/Reboots (of a movie that hasn't got one) You Want to See



Hello there and welcome to Thursday Movie Picks a weekly series where you share movie picks each Thursday. The rules are simple simple: based on the theme of the week pick three to five movies and tell us why you picked them. For further details and the schedule visit the series main page here.


---

This week's Thursday Movie Picks is Remakes/Sequels/Reboots (of a movie that hasn't got one) You Want to See

---



Have you ever seen a movie and think "I can't wait for the sequel" but it didn't happen. I do, quite a number of times. Of course as I sit here trying to remember what they were, I having a hard time recalling, but here's the 5 that I do remember.

Chronicle (2012)
The movie follows three teens who develop powers after entering a hole where they find a mysterious object. I really enjoyed the Chronicle and have been looking forward to the sequel which apparently has been in development since the success of the first movie but has had no new news in a really long time.
 
Daybreakers (2009)
I've talked about how I really like the world building in this movie which features vampires as the dominant species. Daybreakers did some creative things with a world made for vampires like how would vampires drive around town in daylight. I would love to see a sequel/spinoff set in the same world.

28 Days Later... (2002)/28 Weeks Later (2007) 
The non spoilery gist of the story of both movies is survivors of the Rage virus try to escape infection. I love love 28 Days Later. Not that much 28 Weeks Later, but it is still a good sequel. What sets apart the 28 movies from other zombie/infection movies? I'd say the infected and the pacing which is just intense. And oh the music as well which is just scary haunting. So I would love to see them return to the 28 world and expand to other countries which we did see a tiny sneak peek or maybe follow up on Jim and Selena.

A Little Romance (1979)
A Little Romance is a charming little movie about 2 high IQ tweens that meet in Paris, and having never met someone else like them, they think they're soulmates. Basically I'd love to see them do a sort of "Before Sunrise/Sunset" thing except with a 30-40 year time gap in this instance where we just follow up on where the characters are now, perhaps meeting again for the first time after all these years and it would definitely be a dialogue heavy movie with lots of reflecting and reminiscing.

Another Earth (2011)
In Another Earth a young woman attempts to atone for a tragedy she caused against the backdrop of the discovery of another planet like ours. Love the movie and I really like the ending. I'm being vague here as I don't want to spoil anything - I think it would be great to have a sequel to see that actual meeting in the ending and explore the whole contact with Earth 2.

---

If you are participating be sure to add your blog post to the linky widget below (Enter your Blog Post URL, your Blog Name and your email {which will remain hidden}). Please also visit the other participating blogs, spread the word about this meme, and also link back to my blog on your own Thursday Movie Picks post :)

--- 

Participating Blogs/Bloggers
 

13 comments:

  1. I would definitely watch a sequel to Another Earth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only seen 28 Days and Weeks Later and loved them both, but I'm not that sure I'd want to see a third movie, usually they aren't that good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know...I mean they did do a good job with the second one.

      Delete
  3. I am not familiar with any of these, but Another Earth sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've only seen a couple of these. I HATED 28 Days Later so never bothered with the sequel but I'd love to see that sequel to A Little Romance and how cool is it that they would be able to provide Diane Lane with a spotlight role. Something she doesn't get enough of.

    This was a fun twist on the usual themes. It's been interesting to see what everyone wants to see extended or reworked. Since we had multiple choice on the theme I went with the remake & sequel options. Sequel first:

    The Man from U.N.C.L.E. (2015)-Sequels are tricky affairs usually a lesser shadow of the original but occasionally as with Aliens it works out well so I’m usually hopeful. Man from U.N.C.L.E. was a stylish, fast paced affair with a terrific vintage look and relaxed, enjoyable performances from the three leads and Hugh Grant as their wry boss. It didn’t perform as well as expected so this probably won’t happen which is too bad since it was a more realistic adventure with less reliance on CGI than most current actioners.

    And two remakes:
    I’m not much for remakes of classics, what’s the point? You can’t improve on perfection so unless a new perspective or element can be added leave well enough alone. My first is an example of adding a different element. However sometimes a good idea receives faulty execution, occasionally even the best filmmakers stumble and then I say have at it. That would be my second.

    8 Women (2002)-This French musical mystery farce is a one of a kind concoction, wonderfully entertaining with a cast full of the best feminine Gallic cast of the day (Catherine Deneuve, Fanny Ardant and Isabelle Huppert among them). It would have been hard for it to turn out better. But since women’s films and musicals are thin on the ground despite the abundance of talent available an American remake would be great to see especially since the cast runs across all adult age brackets, hell it even has a custom made role for Angela Lansbury as the matriarch.

    Topaz (1969)-Every great director has a lemon in their filmography, this exercise in boredom is Alfred Hitchcock’s. Sluggish to the point of ennui and indifferently acted it was difficult to get through even once. The thing is the basic story, a Russian agent defects and during his interview tells of another supposedly friendly country’s spy ring that is selling high risk secrets to the highest bidder, is a good one and has great potential to be made into an excellent film. If the studios feel the need to remake the Master’s work than start with this fumble and not one of his successes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 8 Women...hmm maybe an English rather than an American remake...they do well with big houses and who dunnits.

      Delete
  5. Never seen A Little Romance - but just seen the trailer and its on my list!

    Daybreakers was good - the making of doc was amazing though. the brothers who made it and the work they put in is brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I've seen the making of...if only they would revisit that world.

      Delete
  6. I have seen parts of 28 Days Later and I won't see it again as I found it too scary for me. I haven't seen the others but A Little Romance

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good grief, I didn't finish my sentence....I would like to see Aa Little Romance rather than the others

      Delete
    2. A Little Romance is soo charming.
      And yes 28 Days Later is one of the more scarier zombie movies.

      Delete
  7. Some really good movies, here. I'm a big fan of both Chronicle and Another Earth. Strangely, I like them both as self-contained stories, though. I think Daybreakers is underrated and I would like to see a sequel to that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chronicle...I guess I never saw it as self contained because being a movie about superpowers, notion of a sequel is always there.

      As for Another Earth...I agree with you, it's definitely great as a self-contained story. Still I am curious about what we never got to see, and I think the people who made it seem like they could do some interesting things with a sequel.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...