Friday, December 8, 2017

Thursday Movie Picks #178: Ugly Duckling to Beautiful Swan Makeover



Hello there and welcome to Thursday Movie Picks a weekly series where you share your movie picks each Thursday. The rules are simple: based on the theme of the week pick three to five movies and tell us why you picked them. For further details and the schedule visit the series main page here.

---

This week's Thursday Movie Picks is Ugly Duckling to Beautiful Swan Makeover

---

 

There are so many of these makeover movies so I'm sure you are spoiled for choice.Anyway here are my three picks.

Grease (1978)
Good girl Sandy falls for a greaser so she gets a makeover to be one of the Pink Ladies. One of my favorite movies and love the songs! This is also probably one of the only movies that the guy had a makeover too.

The Princess Diaries (2001)
When Mia finds out she is the heir to some European country she gets a makeover to become a princess. The movie is sweet. Mia and her friends were funny and cute and Mandy Moore was great as the mean girl. Anyway I was so mad that when the second movie came out they chucked out Mia's best friend's brother, but I guess he was busy with Rooney.

Strictly Ballroom (1992)
When his dancing partner leaves him, experienced ballroom dancer Scott takes Fran a beginner dancer as his partner for an upcoming competition. And so she gets intense training and a makeover for it. Of the three, I think this is probably the least known; I highly recommend it. It is such a charming charming movie.

---

If you are participating be sure to add your blog post to the linky widget below (Enter your Blog Post URL, your Blog Name and your email {which will remain hidden}). Please also visit the other participating blogs, spread the word about this meme, and also link back to my blog on your own Thursday Movie Picks post :)

--- 

Participating Blogs/Bloggers

8 comments:

  1. I didn't even think of Grease! That's a good choice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Brittani, Grease is such a good pick!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even though its cheesy and rather dated I still quite enjoy Strictly Ballroom, I still want to know what a pogo pogo move is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've said that before too that in that it looked dated. But that's sort of a funny thing right? Since it was depicting the present then...and not like a 90's version of the future sort of a thing.

      Delete
  4. I don't think of Grease as an Ugly Duckling makeover since Sandy is all peaches & cream before she turns into a cycle vixen but I love the film.

    The Princess Diaries is much more in line with what I thought of when I read the theme. I'm not of an Anne Hathaway fan but she's okay here and it was great to see Julie Andrews back on the screen.

    It's been a while since I watched Strictly Ballroom but did enjoy it when I did.

    I went with the literal makeover both internal and external for my three.

    Now, Voyager (1942)-Old maid Charlotte Vale (Bette Davis) is a member of an extremely wealthy Boston family whose spirit has been crushed by her gorgon of a mother (a truly hateful Gladys Cooper) until during a visit to their home by kindly psychiatrist Dr. Jaquith (Claude Rains) Charlotte suffers a nervous breakdown and he whisks her away to his retreat for rich nutcases “Cascade”. While there she begins to rebuild her long suppressed confidence and emerges a beautiful swan on a cruise to South America. On the trip she meets the dashing but lonely Jerry Durrance (Paul Henreid) who is trapped in a bad marriage and falls for him. But there’s plenty of bumpy road ahead for this pair and those in their sphere all executed in top flight fashion in amazing clothes set to a swooningly romantic soundtrack. A gigantic hit in its day this was the most profitable picture of Davis’s career. The ne plus ultra of Ugly Duckling movies!

    Miss Congeniality (2000)-To put it mildly FBI agent Gracie Hart (Sandra Bullock) is rough around the edges, she eats with her hands, chews with her mouth open and her idea of fashion is what’s clean that day, but having just blown a big case she finds she can’t refuse when she is recruited to go undercover as a contestant in the Miss United States beauty pageant when a threat is received. Despite many people’s doubt including pageant show runner Kathy Morningside (Candice Bergen) and the coach hired to smooth her feathers Victor Melling (Michael Caine) as well as her own obstinacy Gracie is pulled, pummeled and plucked into a beauty. While working the case she even learns to lighten up and appreciate a different outlook. Breezy comedy is a perfect fit for Sandra Bullock.

    Pygmalion (1938)-First filming of the George Bernard Shaw play where a snobbish linguist bets a crony that he can transform a common flower peddler into a great lady by teaching her proper speech. Not as grandiloquent as My Fair Lady but both Leslie Howard as Professor Henry Higgins and Wendy Hiller as Eliza Doolittle create memorable characters. Wendy is actually more successful with her Eliza than Audrey Hepburn would later be since despite her innate dignity she makes a believable guttersnipe in the initial segment of the movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only pygmalion I saw was My Fair Lady.

      I've seen Miss Congeniality too. It was fun, but I didn't love it.

      Delete
  5. I thought Grease would be somewhere for this week. I know she is made over but I never thought it was a great thing that she went from someone sweet to a slut just to conform to her boyfriend's wishes. The music is fun though. I have seen part of princess but not the whole thing. Great choice for the third! I love this Australian film due to the story, the dancing and the fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Slut? Ouch, that was harsh. I know everyone forgets this, but he tried to conform to her tastes too by going all jock and went for the sports try outs after their failed reunion and when she started going out with a jock. And later to win her back after another falling out he dressed all preppy at the carnival.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...