Friday, December 15, 2017

Thursday Movie Picks #179: Small Towns



Hello there and welcome to Thursday Movie Picks a weekly series where you share your movie picks each Thursday. The rules are simple: based on the theme of the week pick three to five movies and tell us why you picked them. For further details and the schedule visit the series main page here.

---

This week's Thursday Movie Picks is Small Towns

---


For those of you unaware, the preliminary 2018 Thursday Movie Picks Schedule is up.
So it's small town week today and I'm picking the ones I like.

Friday Night Lights (2004)
It's about a small Texas town that's obsessed with American football and the pressure it puts on the high school team, which is pretty sad I think. Anyway I re watched Varsity Blues recently and it pretty much has the same story line which I did not remember at all and I'm like what? I mean I know the Friday Night Lights is based on a book about an actual team, so is Varsity Blues a take on that team too? 

Waitress (2007)
A pregnant waitress in a very unhappy marriage hopes to win a pie baking contest to use the money to leave her husband. A favourite; it's sweet, sad and funny too.

Shimmer Lake (2017)
The local police try to figure out what happened with a bank heist gone wrong involving people in their small town. I actually enjoyed this one, quite surprised that it only has 6.2 on IMDB. It's sort of a mystery/drama that's quite funny too.

---

If you are participating be sure to add your blog post to the linky widget below (Enter your Blog Post URL, your Blog Name and your email {which will remain hidden}). Please also visit the other participating blogs, spread the word about this meme, and also link back to my blog on your own Thursday Movie Picks post :)

--- 

Participating Blogs/Bloggers

10 comments:

  1. I haven't seen any of these but it's the second time Waitress pops up so I think I'll give it a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We match on Waitress! I hated Friday Night Lights, I haven't seen Shimmer Lake but it sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haven't seen the first and the third pick, and can't really remember the Waitress at all. Maybe it was good, maybe not, just no memory of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven’t seen any of these either but the last 2 sound good. I don’t know the answer to your question but I bet they both come from the same source

    ReplyDelete
  5. Only seen FNL Tv show first season which I loved! Waitress is such a great film, so sad about Adrienne Shelly, can't help but think of the movies she would have made after. Shimmer Lake was quite good too but a little predictable...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FNL, I've seen the TV show too, most of the episodes. Like both TV series and the movie.

      Shimmer Lake predictable? Really? I could only really see how it was all tied together in the last 2/3 or so.

      Delete
  6. Friday Night Lights and Shimmer Lake are both excellent. I'm especially glad to see the latter get some love. Like you, I'm surprised it's only at a 6.2.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shimmer Lake - I know right! I also thought since it is on Netflix, it would get talked about a little more.

      Delete
  7. I've only seen Waitress, and it's a really good movie.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...