Friday, December 29, 2017

Thursday Movie Picks #181: TMP Television Edition - Friendship



Hello there and welcome to Thursday Movie Picks a weekly series where you share movie picks each Thursday. The rules are simple: based on the theme of the week pick three to five titles and tell us why you picked them. For further details and the schedule visit the series main page here.

---

This week's Thursday Movie Picks is TMP Television Edition - Friendship

---



Last week of the year. Hope you had a fabulous one and Happy 2018!

Now for those of you unaware, the preliminary 2018 Thursday Movie Picks Schedule is up. If you want to make a suggestion do so by this Sunday. New updated schedule will be up on Tuesday.

On to this week's TV theme: Friendship. It's one of those themes that I feel like I've seen a whole lot more but I'm not coming up with a lot of titles.

Crashing (2016 -)
A group of mostly 20 and 30 somethings who are friends/lovers/rivals live at a disused hospital as property guardians. At the center of it is a pair of childhood best friends who have recently reconnected and have always been sort of in love with each other but have trouble admitting it, so much so that when one or the other inadvertently admits it, each immediately take it back treating it is a joke. They're a disaster and there's a sort of recklessness to their jokes so I can't see it ending well for them. Anyway this series surprised me, I found it really funny and am so hoping there will be a second season. 

Friends (1994-2004)
It is very much part of my childhood. Sometimes I catch an episode of Friends on TV and I'm still able to laugh as if I've not seen it once or twice before.

Friends from College  (2017-)
College friends now in their forties, reconnect when all of them end up living in the same city. It's not as memorable as my other picks today but I still found it funny so will be tuning in for season 2.

---

If you are participating be sure to add your blog post to the linky widget below (Enter your Blog Post URL, your Blog Name and your email {which will remain hidden}). Please also visit the other participating blogs, spread the word about this meme, and also link back to my blog on your own Thursday Movie Picks post :)

--- 

Participating Blogs/Bloggers
 

10 comments:

  1. I was waiting for someone to pick Friends! I never got into that show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here. Never really cared about that show either and I hate the fucking theme song.

      Delete
  2. Friends is one of my favorite show ever. I wanted to see Friends from College but I accidentally watched the last episode first and that ruined it for me. I'm still trying to figure out how I managed to do that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yeah how did you managed to watch the last episode 1st? But I mean it's a comedy, it doesn't have like a twisty end or anything.

      Delete
  3. Friends is the only one of these I've even heard of. I saw a few episodes. Count me as another who didn't really like it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love Friends and still enjoy the series. I haven’t seen the other 2

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm unfamiliar with the other two but I was and am a big Friends fan (though I have to agree with thevoid99 and say I hate the them song...I think it was the fact that it became a stand alone hit and was played to the point of nausea. Great chemistry between the entire cast.

    I went all female driven shows for this one.

    Desperate Housewives (2004-2012)-On a quiet day on the quiet suburban street of Wisteria Lane housewife Mary Alice Young picks up a gun and blows her brains out. After that less than lovely introduction Mary Alice becomes our guide and narrator through the wacky often chaotic lives of her group of women friends Susan, Lynette, Gabrielle, Bree and for a while their fremeny Edie (Teri Hatcher, Felicity Huffman, Eva Longoria, Marcia Cross and Nicolette Sheridan) who all reside on the same street. Through the eight years the series ran the women at times were at odds but when push came to shove their friendship remained strong.

    The Golden Girls (1985-1992)-Four mature women (three widows & a divorcee), man hungry Southerner Blanche Deveraux (Rue McClanahan), naïve Midwesterner Rose Nyland (Betty White), New Yorker Dorothy Zbornak (Beatrice Arthur) and her mother Sophia Petrillo (Estelle Getty) share Blanche’s home and each other’s lives in the Miami suburbs. Over many cheesecakes the quartet talk about everything under the sun including aging, sex, artificial insemination and a myriad of other things interlaced with Rose’s often idiotic hometown Saint Olaf stories. They bicker, argue and fight but consistently support each other when it really matters. What makes this so special and constantly rewatchable is that four of the best comedic actresses that ever lived interact in every episode like a well-oiled machine.

    Laverne & Shirley (1976-1983)-Slapstick shenanigans of two Milwaukee brewery workers and best friends Laverne DeFazio (Penny Marshall) and Shirley Feeney (Cindy Williams). A succession of predicaments happen weekly which require the girls to extricate themselves from in some outlandish fashion as their strange upstairs neighbors Lenny & Squiggy (Michael McKean & David Lander) pop in and out along with Shirley’s sometimes boyfriend Carmine “The Big Ragoo” Ragusa (Eddie Mekka).

    Looking forward to next year's themes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like Desperate Housewives but I think it went on too long.

      Golden Girls, I saw it when I was really really young and the last one is the only one I have not seen.

      Delete
  6. I was looking forward to Crashing and watched it all but I just found all the characters to be annoying and desparate, felt a bit let down as I thought Phoebe Waller-Bridge was meant to be great. I don't think a second series is on the immediate horizon as she got a better response to Fleabag, plus she in Star Wars this year, so who knows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The characters in Crashing are definitely loud so I can see why you found them annoying, but like I said I still enjoyed it. Hmm...but I thought UK series sometimes take a break for a year or two and still come back for a second season. Crashing is now on Netflix in some countries, it may just get its audience and perhaps a 2nd season.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...